8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 2:37 PM by Stephen Barrante

CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL

jasonvp Level 3

Hey folks -

I installed the official release of Premiere Pro on my Mac this morning and noticed an interesting change to the CUDA supported cards file.  Previously, Adobe included the same cuda_supported_cards.txt on the Mac version as they did on the Windows version.  The vast majority of the nVidia cards in that file didn't apply to Mac users since those cards weren't available.

The new file included with Premiere Pro on the Mac is different: it only includes the 4 nVidia cards that are officially available on the Mac.  That means the GTX285 and the three Quadro (CX, FX 4800, 4000) cards.

I've been using a modified GTX 570 card in my Mac for the past 2 weeks, and the previous version of Premiere saw it and used it with no issues, since it was in the supported cards file.  But when I fired 6 up this morning and loaded one of my projects, it noted that the project would be reverted to MPE software-only mode.  That's what led me to look in the proper file, and sure enough: the GTX 570 wasn't there.  I added it back and voila: I have MPE in hardware mode again.

For what it's worth, there's also an opencl_supported_cards.txt file in the same directory.

mrfreeze$ pwd

/Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.app/Contents

mrfreeze$ ls -l *.txt

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  69 May  7 02:44 cuda_supported_cards.txt

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  39 May  7 02:44 opencl_supported_cards.txt

jas

• 1. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
          Gregory Seattle Level 1

If you have a moment, what is the the "opencl_supported_cards.txt?"

As I understand it, my Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB isn't going to be supported via OpenCL <big frown>. I am will to try to modify that file, if that is all it takes, and see what happens though!  :-)

I am one of those people who bought CS5.5 and get the free upgrade to CS6, but not until the end of the month, at the latest, as I understand it.

• 2. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
            jasonvp Level 3

Gregory Seattle wrote:

If you have a moment, what is the the "opencl_supported_cards.txt?"

It's a list of the 2 ATI mobile/laptop cards currently officially supported by Premiere Pro.  Whether or not adding a different ATI GPU to it would work like the CUDA file does, I couldn't tell you.

jas

• 3. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
              Stephen Barrante Level 1

This was exactly what I needed. My CS5.5 apps worked great with the GTX 570, and couldn't figure out what was wrong when I just downloaded the CS6 suite.

Forgive the slight off-topic note. But I've never run (or manually setup) the OpenCL patch since until I upgraded to CS6 there wasn't much point. Since you did this, presumably, in the past. Is there a patch you can refer me to that does it efficiently, and safely?

The video card is installed in a MacPro 5,1.

Thanks,
              Stephen

• 4. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
                jasonvp Level 3

Stephen Barrante wrote:

Forgive the slight off-topic note. But I've never run (or manually setup) the OpenCL patch since until I upgraded to CS6 there wasn't much point. Since you did this, presumably, in the past. Is there a patch you can refer me to that does it efficiently, and safely?

First and foremost: no, there isn't a file or a patch.  You have to install a binary editor, and then open up one of the kernel extension files and edit it, replacing a certain set of characters with another set.  That will enable OpenCL on nVidia cards.

You need to hunt around on the 'net for instructions on how to do that.  I wouldn't, though, unless you NEED OpenCL support.  So that's the question you need to answer: do you really NEED OpenCL support?  CUDA on the nVidia cards is way faster, and Premiere and AE make great use of said.  Are you running other apps that don't support CUDA but do support OpenCL?

jas

• 5. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
                  Stephen Barrante Level 1

Thanks for the followup.

My understanding is that After Effects and Adobe Photoshop CS6 specifically take advantage of OpenCL, and not as much CUDA. Where as CUDA has been used largely in Premiere.

WIth the help of a friend of mine, we used the Hex editor and updated the driver. I haven't played around with AE enough yet since the update to see if it's improved. I didn't notice a performance hit in Premiere yet either. Should I?

• 6. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
                    jasonvp Level 3

Stephen Barrante wrote:

My understanding is that After Effects and Adobe Photoshop CS6 specifically take advantage of OpenCL, and not as much CUDA. Where as CUDA has been used largely in Premiere.

I know about Photoshop using OpenCL, but my understanding was that AE uses CUDA.  If it uses OpenCL, that's a new one for me.

I didn't notice a performance hit in Premiere yet either. Should I?

I don't see why you would.  Did you fire up Photoshop and verify that it sees the nVidia card now?

jas

• 7. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
                      Stephen Barrante Level 1

I must be hearing things, but it doesn't surpise me.

To answer your question, Photoshop did indicate that is was using the nVidia card now!

Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: CS6: Mac Users - Note About CUDA and OpenCL
                        Stephen Barrante Level 1

Actually, fwiw, just noticed in the Fast Previews preferences, click on GPU Information and it lists OpenCL and CUDA.