31 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 6:47 AM by Gerard_Pas

ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.

kbutzin Level 1

The ACR 7.0 that installs with rhe released version of Photoshop CS6 still won't open Nikon d800 raw files.

• 1. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
          johnkwon9 Level 1

Nikon D800 is not supported in ACR 7.0.  Please update to ACR 7.1 RC if you would like support: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-1/

• 2. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is because it’s functionality was frozen back in February.

Use the ACR 7.1 RC from Adobe Labs:  http://labs.adobe.com/

• 3. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
              fmcooper

I've installed the 7.1 RC from today, and I still can't open my D800E RAW files.....   Photoshop CS6 trial version (waiting for my voucher since I upgraded to 5.5 a few weeks ago....) but I don't think that would be the issue.

• 4. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

Can you please launch Photoshop, go to help>System Info > copy and paste into an email and send it to: aohlmeye@adobe.com. Can you also attach the raw file from your D800? Thanks, Adriana

• 6. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                  fmcooper Level 1

My problem seems to have been Nikon Transfer related.  I upgraded View NX2, which upgraded Nikon Transfer as well, and all is well.  Transfer seemed to be writing incorrect header information on the files -- 12bit NEF vs 14bit and 1632x1080 instead of 7360x4912, so something WAS definitely amiss.

• 7. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                    Gerard_Pas

I have just purchased Photoshop CS6 and I use Lightroom 4. While LR4 shows the Nikon D800 RAW (NEF) files CS6 PS will not open my RAW (NEF) files either.

I have also install the DNG Converter ACR 7.1 RC and it does not even see the RAW-NEF files to convert to DNG. I am using a PC Windows 7.

I can use LR4 to convert the NEF file to a DNG and edit these in CS6. The problem is that D800 NEF files are very large (on average 45MB) and having to make duplicates of every file as a DNG will only excerbate disk space, backup space, etc.

This was not a problem in using CS5 which I have just uninstalled for CS6
                    Highly frustrating!

I will also send you a copy of my PS System Info.

I teach photography to over 80 students in a College environment so it is imperative that I be up to speed with your software.

Gerard

• 8. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.

Read the messages prior to yours in the thread and you will see what your issue is, right?

• 9. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

Gerard_Pas wrote:

I teach photography to over 80 students in a College environment so it is imperative that I be up to speed with your software.

If indeed you are an instructor/teacher, it would behoove you to understand what's going on. New cameras come out on their own schedule, Adobe releases their software on their schedule. They often conflict (have for the last decade or so). So, a knowledgeable user/teacher should understand there is a period of time of hardware cameras being out of phase with 3rd party software. It's happened every years since 2003 or so...it's nothing new.

ACR 7.1RC for Photoshop CS6 and LR 4.1 RC2 has support for all but one camera I'm aware of. CS6 shipped with ACR 7.0 which had the camera support of ACR 6.6. Adding camera support takes time. But right now, LR 4.1RC2 and ACR 7.1 both available at labs.adobe.com solve all but the Fuji X-Pro 1 camera (which prolly will be supported by the time the GMs ship–we hope).

I'm always surprised at the squealing that seems to occur when new cameras conflict with new software updates.

All of this crap could be mitigated if the camera companies would come to their senses and adopt some sort of baseline default raw file format standard like DNG which would help eliminate the customer frustration and irritation (which is totally the fault of the camera makers, not Adobe). Be sure to blame the correct party…the camera makers are the ones who contribute to this unfortunate situation by spawning off new file formats. It really ain't Adobe's fault–really. 

• 10. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                          Gerard_Pas Level 1

@ Jeff Schewe,

I am knowledgeable enough of a teacher to recognize the denigrating pejoratives rampant in your remarks. I will ignore them except to say I am not publishing notes in a Camera Raw Converter which categorically state that the D800 & D800E have been included. Therein lies the frustration and that is no pun. How many times does one follow the published prescribed solutions to a problem before one stop’s to realize that they are simply not working?

Thanks for squealing in though, very helpful indeed! Difference’s in our tact aside: essentially we're both in agreement.

Gerard

• 11. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                            Noel Carboni Level 7

Something must be wrong with your particular installation, Gerard.

I say this because I am able to quite successfully convert a downloaded D800 .NEF file to .DNG with the Camera Raw 7.1 RC DNG converter, and I'm able to open the file directly into Photoshop CS6 using the Camera Raw 7.1 RC.

How have you brought your .NEF file into your computer?

-Noel

• 12. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                              Gerard_Pas Level 1

Thanks Noel,

I use LR4 (Lightroom) to import my RAW files directly from CF Card to my computer "library". I am also able to convert these 14 bit NEF files to DNG using LR4. These converted DNG files do open in CS6 PS. Oddly, I was able to open every D800 NEF file with CS5 PS without conversion to DNG yesterday but not after installing CS6. Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a few times. I have also followed the instructions on what to do if CS6 cannot open a camera RAW file "listed" in ACR 6.7 and 7.1.

Feeling some what stymied at the moment. Look, I know there will be solution and I'm patient; I just wanted to chirp in and say that I am also running into troubles bringing in the large D800 NEF files and those who wrote above are not alone.

Gerard

• 13. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.

CS6-ACR7 will NOT open D800 NEFs.

CS5-ACR6.7 WILL

CS6-ACR7.1 RC WILL

What versions of what software including the ACR plug-in version are you using that are unsuccessful in opening D800 NEFs?

• 14. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                  Gerard_Pas Level 1

ssprengel -> Thanks for asking!

I don't want to confuse people any more than need be.
                                  I am on a PC using Win7, I use LR4 to manage, import and catalogue my library and not Nikon View software, I use LR4 to successfully convert the NEF to a DNG and bring the DNG I want to edit into CS6 PS: but this is a work around solution so that I can still work on images. My point was that CS6 PS cannot open the NEF files which I have traditionally just opened in PS for many, many years, not needing to make a DNG copy from the NEF. My real concern with this is that the D800 NEF files are +- 45MB the DNG the same size. So if I take 800 images that equals 64 GB and if I convert those to DNG, I now have 124GB of disk space used. 200GB for a day’s shooting is not difficult for me, as I photograph birds in continuous mode at 4 to 6 FPS. In the interest of disk space I would sooner use just the NEF and not make DNG copies. I believe I mention this above.

To recapitulate: my initial reaction was to the fact that up until the 14bit D800 NEF CS# PS could previously open the NEF files without the conversion, CS6 PS cannot. All 14bit NEF files must now be converted to DNG before they can work in CS6 PS.

I trust the Adobe will come up with a solution and I made my initial reply because I wanted the writer of this thread to know they were not alone and that I was equally confused as to why I could not get CS6 to open and work with NEF as previous versions had.

I hope this clears up your question and I should add I am grateful for your concern.

• 15. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Gerard_Pas wrote:

To recapitulate: my initial reaction was to the fact that up until the 14bit D800 NEF CS# PS could previously open the NEF files without the conversion, CS6 PS cannot.

Correct...as has been pointed out already, the final shipping version of CS6 contained ACR 7.0 which had camera support equal to ACR 6.6 and LR 3.6. It doesn't support the newer cameras like the D800/800E nor the 5D MIII. This is to be expected because CS6's got locked down very early so Adobe could do QE and certify the whole CS6 release.

That's also why LR 4.1 RC was released and why ACR 7.1 RC was released...to get initial preliminary support for the new cameras.

If you use LR 4.1 RC and the ACR 7.1 RC you'll have support for these new cameras. ACR 7.0 and LR 4.0 don't. That's the way it is when new software comes out in the same timeframe as new cameras. Early adopters get into a situation–which honestly is caused by the camera companies failing to adopt any raw file where the new cameras aren't supported by the newly released but somewhat backwards in terms of support, software. That's also why Adobe makes RC beta versions available...if you understand the problem, you should also take advantage of the solution–go to Labs.Adobe.com and get the betas...

• 16. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                      station_one Level 3

Gerard_Pas wrote:

ssprengel -> Thanks for asking!

…until the 14bit D800 NEF CS# PS could previously open the NEF files without the conversion, CS6 PS cannot…

You keep saying that, referring to NEFs as if they were all equal; but they are not.  NEFs from each individual camera model need to be supported separately.  The camera model in question is newer than ACR 6.6.  That's all.

In any event, as Jeff and others point out, the NEFs from the darned D800 from are now supported, so it's a moot point.

• 17. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                        Gerard_Pas Level 1

Thanks Jeff,

The bottom line is that it's not working as much as I have tried. Even LR4 has corrupted my 14 bit NEF D800 files (truncating files) this morning after a simple move from one folder to another: the result is that they are no longer useable and they have already been removed from the CF card. These were also files that I worked with last night using LR4 and which were fine until I made metadata changes and the basic move folder command.

There is a problem whomever, whatever and it is seriously affecting my work flow, causing me to be skeptical of Nikon, the 14 bit D800 NEF, and Adobe in managing these images. I have never used Nikon software to edit and I don’t want to being as a long time Adobe user and I am not blaming anyone. I'm reluctant to say much more because I fear you'll insult me or my capacity towards knowledge; or further get back on to your manufacturers argument which isn't helping my problem. Right now I have a major problem and I need to get it fixed or understand why and most certainly before I go back into the classroom. This isn't theory but praxis.

@ station
                                        I can't write a doctoral dissertation on NEF when trying to make a generalized comment on a thread - suffice it to say I know there's a difference but I am using the term in a generic way.

*This will be my last comment until both LR4 and CS6 PS work with the D800 files in a "bomb proof way". Just now all I'm doing is looking for band-aids and work around's. It's very frustrating and costly in image loss, workflow, and software expenses.

Maybe some at Adobe could actually help me? Please.

• 18. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.

I am suspicious of blaming LR4 for corrupting the D800 files.    LR should be calling on OS-level functions to move files, so if the files are corrupted there may be a cause outside of LR, and the corruption was first visible in LR so it is being blamed.   Are the files 0 bytes, or what is the extent of the truncation or corruption?

What is your hardware setup for the storage of the LR catalog and the images, themselves?

• 19. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Gerard_Pas wrote:

Maybe some at Adobe could actually help me? Please.

This is a User to User forum...all you can really expect are users to answer your questions...and I agree, there's something else going on if your files got corrupted by moving them. Did you move them on the same HD or a different HD? I would suspect an HD problem.

As for your snippy responses, you were the one that started your posting with an attitude (not atypical of some in academia)...I just returned the favor to you.

• 20. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                              Noel Carboni Level 7

Some people don't seem to understand that integrating all this software and hardware to work together is OUR responsibility.  No one else's.

We bought the components.  It's up to us to wire them together properly to work.  That might take forcing oneself to learn things one does not currently know.

You would do well to stop ignoring what people here are telling you, Gerard, and to start to try to get your mind around what you need to do to make your setup work.  I'd start by buying an inexpensive card reader and using that to get your files onto your computer.

-Noel

• 21. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                Gerard_Pas Level 1

Noel - I do use a card reader and always have! I don't go direct from the camera. As I point out, I am working around the problems that are stated above and I am here forcing myself to learn by asking those questions. Thanks though. I’m not ignoring anyone if I were I wouldn’t have all the comments above.

Jeff - I mentioned that I'm a teacher and need to know what I'm doing with the software. Sorry for the attitude.
                                                I am an artist before a teacher it’s just that I like to be proficient when I teach (google me).
                                                Why do you feel such animosity towards education? I’m really sorry I posted here at all.

ssprengel -

I am equally as surprised and not blaming LR4 just making an observation. I have used LR for years and manage a library of over 60,000 images with it. It is my software of choice and will continue to be. But this has become a persistent problem only with the D800 14bit NEF +- 45MB files, all other files from my Nikon DX cameras and my Canon cameras are fine. I’m not blaming LR4 it could also be the Nikon NEF, I just don’t know why LR4 truncates the D800 files and other software doesn’t.

- if I move files using Nikon ViewNX 2 or Windows7 Explorer the files simply move without problem. When I move them using LR4 they become truncated (no end of file error message). If I move them with LR4 and then copy over them into the new folder with the original copy, LR4 corrects and is able to deal with the file in their new destination. (this means a lot of extra work and saving the originals in another directory LR4 doesn’t see).
                                                It's confusing. I have reinstalled LR4 3 times already and checked the hard disks. The bottom line is that both Windows and ViewNX will move the file without altercation. I don’t know why? Yet further confusion. Please realize that I am aware this may be an isolated issue and I intend to ask one of the college techs. to look at the problem.

I am not attacking Adobe, I only use Adobe products with my images and I want it to work that’s why I came here in the first place. I have a lot of money invested in Adobe software both here and all our other licences. Please stop using words like blame, reporting an issue is not blaming. Don’t shoot me I’m just conveying my current (personal) experiences with the product. I’m trying to figure out why and how to make it work.

This is my last post on this thread. Thanks a lot for all your help. I remain a faithful Adobe client and appreciative of all your kind remarks and assistance above.

• 22. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Gerard_Pas wrote:

This is my last post on this thread.

I suggest you start your very own new thread, break the problem down to the fundamental things that are going wrong, and the nice folks here will help you debug it.  Here's what you need to start with:

After copying a .NEF raw file from your camera to your hard drive, can you then open that file in Photoshop through Camera Raw?

Yes:  Then the discussion should be in the Lightroom forum.

No: Verify the versions of software you're running, and post a copy of the file online so someone else can try to open it, thus verifying its format.

-Noel

• 23. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                    Gerard_Pas Level 1

Thanks Noel, I'll do that and I appreciate your advice.

• 24. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                      Gerard_Pas Level 1

While I realize that this has gotten a bit off topic, I'm commenting on my above statement about LR4 truncating files.

I still don't know why this happened but I have found a solution which works quickly and doesn't add any extra time or hassles. Instead of "importing" the files from my card-reader directly using LR4, I am  now "transferring" the files from the card-reader using Nikon ViewNX2. There afer I "import" the files into my LR4 Library. Then when I then move files around in my LR4 "Library" using LR4 (my preferred software for managing images) the files retain their integrity and all is well. I am then able to "convert" the file to a DNG and edit in CS6. It works well and doesn't add a great burden of extra work. D800 NEF images that I may want to edit must still be converted to a DNG before CS6 PS will edit them.

Again, I am writing this for anyone who may be having similar problems and that uses a Nikon D800 camera shooting in RAW.

• 25. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                        kbutzin Level 1

I've imported over a thousand raw files from taken by my D800 directly into LR4 RC2 using a card reader and I have not seen a problem with a single file.  Not sure why you thing that LR is truncating your files, but I'd bet the problem lies else where in your system, possibly buffered writes to your HHD, especiallhy if your saving to an external drive.

• 26. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

I just wanted to mention:  It seems to me that using the operating system (vs. an application) to manage the transfer of data makes more sense.

In my case, I use Windows' own WIA functions to copy files to folders on my system, then open those files with Adobe application software as needed.  I have set up Windows' "Autoplay" settings to just copy the images off my camera whenever I plug it into the USB cable I have laying on the desk for the purpose. 

I literally just plug in, wait a few moments for confirmation on the screen all files are copied, and unplug. I believe you can set up the same thing with your card reader - no Adobe (or any other non-Microsoft) software will be involved.

AutoPlay40D.jpg

I suppose if LR made the process seem more convenient for your particular workflow, I can see why you would try it.

-Noel

• 27. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                            Gerard_Pas Level 1

kbutzin

While I might come up with the same conclusion the file corruption only occurs when moving files in LR4 and no other program. The files are being copied to a Raid Controlled 2TB internal HHD. I do not use LR4 for backups to my external HHDs. I should also mention this isn't me thinking, it's me seeing what's happening. If you know of a setting in LR4 that I can adjust to stop it and fix the problem please let me know.

_______________________

Noel Carboni,

Essentially, considering the files are important data and irreplaceable "negatives" I think your advice above about using the OS is probably the best and safest. Thanks.

• 28. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                              h.kappe

OK, I got it. I´ve had the same problem like you. I useually use Nikon Transfer und ViexNX to get the fils from the Card to the PC. I didn´t see the NEF-Files from the Nikon D 800. Because of the threads, i tried to import the NEF Fils directly... And it works....  It works also by CS 6 und Lighjtroom 4...

I just tried to import the NEF-files directly to LR 4. It works also...

Nikon Tranfer seems to make something with the NEF-files so CS 6 or LR 4 can´t read them later.... It seems to be a Nikon problem...

Hendrik

• 29. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                                dpmckinney

Um my Lightroom 4 doesn't see them. Any advice?

• 30. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dpmckinney wrote:

Um my Lightroom 4 doesn't see them. Any advice?

LR 4.1 RC2?

• 31. Re: ACR 7.0 in Released version of CS6 doesn't open Nikon D800 raw files.
                                                                    Gerard_Pas Level 1

Just a quick note.

Thank You Adobe!!!
                                                                    The recent update of LR4 to LR4.1 and the DNG Converter 7.1 have remedied all my issues as mentioned above.Thus, no more truncated files when moving files in my catalogue, I can now edit the NEF(s) directly, etc.

I am extremely grateful to Photoshop and Lightroom for your prompt reaction and continue to be a faithful user of your excellent software for all my photography, cataloging and editing needs.
                                                                    Thank you Adobe and everyone above for your opinions and advice.
                                                                    Gerard