4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2008 12:00 AM by sfn2

Flex3 Sound Bug ?

sfn2
      Hi

Using Flex 3 on XP with current Flash Player.

Is there a known bug in Flex3 or the Flash 9 player where it randomly plays MP3 streams like IceCast & ShoutCast at half speed?

I coded a Flex3 IceCast Player and 90% of the time it works perfectly but sometimes it plays the stream slowly, like at half speed, but if you reload the same stream it works fine again.

Nothing too fancy in the code:
      var soundInstance:Sound = new Sound();
      soundInstance.load(new URLRequest(" http://domain.com:80/SomeIceCastStreamURL.mp3"), new SoundLoaderContext(3000,true));
      var soundChannelInstance:SoundChannel = soundInstance.play(1000);

If I code it in AS2/Flash 8 the issue goes away but I would prefer to use Flex3 if possible.

Maybe it is a known bug or I missed something in the code ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Flex3 Sound Bug ?
          Peter deHaan Level 4
          sfn2,

Can you please file a bug at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex/ and attach a simple test case.

Thanks,
          Peter
          • 2. Re: Flex3 Sound Bug ?
            sfn2 Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: peterd_mm
            sfn2,

Can you please file a bug at http://bugs.adobe.com/flex/ and attach a simple test case.

Thanks,
            Peter

Hi Peter

Have you heard of this behaviour before ? If so I will file it as a bug but I was hoping there might be a code solution.

For example I have tried some different code that seemed logical:

Setting the content type of urlRequest like this:
            urlRequest.contentType = "application/octet-stream"
            or like this:
            urlRequest.contentType = "audio/mpeg"

Setting the urlRequest header like this:
            var header:URLRequestHeader =new URLRequestHeader("Content-Type", "audio/mpeg");
            urlRequest.requestHeaders.push(header)

Maybe a Flex developer on here has had success with this and the issue is particular to my code implementation because I am not sure if it is a problem with my code, the Flex3 compiler, the Flash player or something else I don't know.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Flex3 Sound Bug ?
              Peter deHaan Level 4
              I've never heard of the issue personally. If you are using Flex classes and seeing the issue, there may be a possibility it is a Flex issue. If you're using core Player classes (NetStream/NetConnection/etc) it may be a Flash Player issue. If it is intermittent, there may also be a chance it is an IceCast issue with certain streams/songs.

But once a bug is submitted and we can reproduce it internally, we can move the bug to the Player team if it appears to be a Player issue.
              The most important thing is that a bug is filed so the issue can be tracked/investigated.

Peter
              • 4. Flex3 Sound Bug ?
                sfn2 Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: peterd_mm
                I've never heard of the issue personally. If you are using Flex classes and seeing the issue, there may be a possibility it is a Flex issue. If you're using core Player classes (NetStream/NetConnection/etc) it may be a Flash Player issue. If it is intermittent, there may also be a chance it is an IceCast issue with certain streams/songs.

But once a bug is submitted and we can reproduce it internally, we can move the bug to the Player team if it appears to be a Player issue.
                The most important thing is that a bug is filed so the issue can be tracked/investigated.

Peter

Made a minimal mxml example that can randomly trigger the probem here at least, it is pasted code below.
                Using AS2 seems to fix it. But maybe the code below is wrong in some way? Or could be just a sound card or network issue something like that at this end maybe that causes it and not the code.