• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader XI not working for me (Windows 7)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed adobe reader XI and now I can't open any PDF files. The application itself won't even start properly. The default window opens but then it completely shutsdown without any indication of why it did so. No error report or anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

I found the solution to the program itself not opening properly on another thread on this site.  See below:

I spoke to a colleague about what was happening, and he had me reinstall Adobe Reader XI and attempt to start it.  I then navigated to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\ folder and double-clicked the Eula.exe. It displayed the End User License Agreement window and I clicked 'Accept'. After doing that I was able to start the Reader without issue and it all seems to be work

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check the Event Viewer if there is any indication why the Reader program stops?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround try cleaner tool from below link

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

and then try re-install of Reader from below link

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these solutions worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean that Inayal's suggestion didn't work for you, but you still marked his answer as Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, meant neither worked. I accidentally marked correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't offer a solution; I asked you to check the Event Logs to find the reason why Reader stops without any error messages.  There must be an entry for this; no program just stops for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my event log:

Event Log - Adobe.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The module that crashes appears to be part of the Nvidia driver.

What is your display adapter, device driver version & date?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

cleaner helped me solve the same issue. Had to restart once it was cleaned and as a pleasant surprise it had started working. I had tried other steps mentioned here like uninstalling it first with new reinstallation. Also euala.exe activation and also checking with event logs. None of these had helped. I was probably lucky enough for cleaner to work for me. thanks for those links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution to the program itself not opening properly on another thread on this site.  See below:

I spoke to a colleague about what was happening, and he had me reinstall Adobe Reader XI and attempt to start it.  I then navigated to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\ folder and double-clicked the Eula.exe. It displayed the End User License Agreement window and I clicked 'Accept'. After doing that I was able to start the Reader without issue and it all seems to be working fine now.

The above worked for me and now Reader XI will open properly and stay open.  Hope this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and I've tried going into Eula.exe and accepting as you suggested, but

it still won't open .   I've uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.  I don't know how to get to the

event  window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me, thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having all these problems too. Nothing works. Uninstalled a few times and reinstalled, this really sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. I tried the cleaner tool but that didn't solve the issue. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe Reader and now it is working perfectly.

Go on try this, it's easy and simple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

add entry to your host file to prevent Adbobe from reaching out to Adobe for updates

127.0.0.1 acroipm.adobe.com

This will fix for version X and XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jcpainter,

Thanks for your solution. I just did this today and it works a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines