• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which Flash Player to use for x86 PC with WinXP SP3 Home Ver. & IE8 on ComCast Internet (Chicago)?

New Here ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a x86 PC with Windows XP SP3 Home Version and Internet Explorer 8. 

Which Flash Player version is best for use on ComCast (Xfinity) Internet/TV service provider (Chicago area) with a 3.32Mbps speed down/0.87Mbps speed up package?

Up until now I have been using Flash Player 10.3.183.48 to view both NetFlex and Hulu with no problems (both Regular and Full Screen).

Now I want to view online TV shows via my ComCast (Xfinity) service provider but the minimum required Flash Player is 11.1.0.

I have tried Flash Player 11.1.102.55 and NetFlix and Hulu are OK, but Xfinity Online/TV is grainy (pixilated) and jerky (frozen frames) with OK audio, but it's only useable on regular size screen (not Full Screen).

Any suggestions are helpful.

A package step up to 6Mbps or 25Mbps Internet speed is a considerable increase in monthly cost.

And, yes, I do realize a step up to a newer computer would be nice but I just can't afford it right now and I'm not a gamer (no time). 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend you update to our latest version (11.7) which you can find here:  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris,

Wasn't sure about FP 11.7 particularly with Hulu and NetFlex.  Will try it out and see. 

Had problems (audio and video skip) months ago when I then dropped back to the FP 10.3.183.48 version per suggestion here. 

That has been working just fine up until I just tried going onto the ComCast site for movies and TV series and the FP 10.3 obviously wasn't good enough.

Will let you know.

Thanks

Vernon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followup:

Chris,

I tried out the latest Flash Player version but it is no better than the 11.1.102.55 version. 

NetFlix and Hulu are OK, but the same problem exists for the Comcast/Xfinity TV/Online stuff. 

The picture, even in the Regular not Full Screen mode is obviously grainy or pixilated as I had reported for the previous version. 

No improvement.

I'm not sure what my problem is, whether it is Internet speed related, memory, or whatever.

Any more ideas for better presentation?

EDIT:  I doublechecked and found that Comcast/Xfinity TV online requires both the latest version of MS Silverlight (Version 5, which I have) and the latest Flash Player (which I also now have).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try if a newer graphics driver improves your picture quality; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pat,

However I checked my graphics card supplier (Intel) and I have the latest driver for my chipset family.  Mind you the driver date is 1/13/2007.

Vernon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else out there with another possible answer/fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already, can you try toggling hardware acceleration on/off to see if that makes a difference?

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has not helped at all. 

And I tried that before whenever I had to revert to the FP 10.3 version 6 months ago for just Hulu and netflix.  It didn't help much there either way. 

And before the problem cropped up originally everything was fine. 

Although, then, I had removed Google Earth and Google Chrome  because they seemed to influence the viewing a bit. 

I have now readded Google Chrome as a secondary browser but it hasn't changed anything as far as the videos go.

I have now also upgraded to the latest Flash Player but I still have the same problems.

I can only view the Comcast movies and series in  the lowest resolution and speeds and only can use the Normal screen at that, not the Full screen mode.  And Comcast requires at least FP 11.1 to be used.

The movies are jerky, sometimes completely freezing up and the audio and video are almost always out of sync (again).

Short of replacing the graphics card, no one has come up with an answer. 

I am sure a lot of people have older graphics cards in their system and have no problems with their video.

But I'm sure that I am not the only one that has this problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have spent over 3 hours on chat and phone with Xfinity and continue to have stuttering video ONLY when using streampix.  Hulu and Netflix work fine.  I have 50mbs internet package.  I tried moving to older versions of Adobe but they don't work at all.  I have the latest Flash, latest silverlight, fresh windows 7 install, and this occurs in IE, Firefox, and Chrome.  Xfinity is essentially calling BS on this.  But, as I can see here I am not alone.  Is this possibly an Adobe issue and is Adobe seeing others with similar issues?  Any help is great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines