I was trying to open a file this morning, and when a pop-menu asked what application I wanted to choose (from a list) to open it, I clicked on Adobe Reader - just as a guess. After that, just about all my desktop icons are Adobe icons, and when I click on them, the pop up menus says I can't access the file. These icons also show up on my menu of all my MS Office programs like Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
Tech support at Adobe recommended I use System Restore, but it also is now an Adobe icon, so I can't open it. If anyone can help reverse this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
First, thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I don't recall what I was trying to open. And yes, I think I've permanently associated nearly everything with the Adobe file extension. In another post, someone else with the same problem uninstalled the Adobe Reader, which I did, and that took care of my problem for now. He said that when he re-installed it, the problem came back. I haven't tried re-installing it, concerned that I'll have the same problem again. But I'll do that in the next few days to see how that works out.
In the meantime, though, if this problem is the same as the other, I'm not sure I've solved the problem. Can you instruct me on how to reset the file extension? Here's the post from this other person:
This also happened to me this morning. Now all my icons are PDF symbols and Reader opens when I try to open any other program. I uninstalled Reader it and it fixed itself but when I reinstalled the program the same issue occurred.
I wanted to make PDF reader the default application when openning PDF's vs. Distiller, tinkered and broke my computer.
Any clues on how to bring everything back to normaL?
No direct solution. No one seems to know how to deal with this, not even the folks at Adobe.
As a temporary measure, I basically would install Reader if I really needed to open a PDF, then uninstall it right after. A hassle, but ok when necessary.
My son recently came home and set Google as the default program to open all my PDF's, so now I can open them all but not through Reader.
It seems to work fine, though it's still not the real solution. If you know how to set a web browser to be the application that opens PDF's - you're all set. I don't know how to do it myself.
Hope this helps.
From the look of things ot looks like you have associated all .exe's with Adobe Reader and made it as the default association. Thats why any and all applications on your system are trying to open themselves with Adobe Reader.
To fix this issue, you will have to change the default associations for all files with the extension .exe. Can you please try the steps in the below mentioned link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505 (For Vista and Win7 OS)
For changing the default association for EXEs on a Win XP Machine you can perform the following:
1. Open the File Types dialog from any Explorer window -- use My Documents or My Computer (Tools | Folder Options | File Types Tab).
2. Scroll down to where EXE would be in the alphabetical order and select the entry. Click on the Restore button on the bottom of the dialog. This should restor the association of the file.
3. Incase the entry for EXE is not present, select the New button, type in EXE for the extension and select the Advanced button. From the list pick "Application". Click OK and close the dialogs.
4. Restart your system and you should be good to go.
Hopefully this should fix things for you.!!
Can you let me know your OS? This will help in narrowing down your problem, since there are separate steps to resolving the issue as per the OS installed. Also, did you restart your system after performing the mentioned steps?
Sorry for so many questions and no answers as of now.
I am assuming you must have used the following link to rectify your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505 and used the Let me fix it myself link.
Can you please confirm whether you restarted your system after doing the same. Cause it takes a restart for the registry changes to take effect.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, i figured this might help someone else with this problem.
I just had a user with this problem;
they assosiated the .lnk file extension with adobe somehow.
.lnk is the windows shortcut extension, so all their shortcuts opened adobe...
I used Nirsoft Filetypesman to fix it,
i just looked at the .lnk extension on a good computer, and the bad computer
then changed the bad one to match the good one.