Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR export files with low quality

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a hobby photo enthusiast, who uses LR to post-process photos.

Recently I discover a very strange behavior of LR, while exporting processed photos. When I open the raw file (CR2) in LR and export it into JPG without any adjustment at all, this look fine. If I play with presets, exposure, contrast..... the export file still looks fine.

However, as soon as I change the 'Detail' value of Sharpness, the export file quality gets much worse.

Here is the photo, that I've exported into JPG without making any changes to it.

IMG_3857.jpgCapture.JPG

and here are the JPG export files, after I've changed the sharpness.

IMG_3857-3.jpgCapture.JPG

IMG_3857-4.jpgCapture.JPG

This is how my export setting look like

Capture.JPG

I'm using LR6 desktop installation. I've tried to open the export JPG in LR, but it's still of poor quality. I've googled a lot and found, that I'm not the only one, having this issue. But no one so far, has been complaining, about this single setting option, of being the main cause of the problem. I've also tried to changed the quality of the export from 100% to 90, 80... 60%, but this didn't help. I've tried to play around with the Sharpen export setting, didn't help. Therefore I believe, that there's something strange happening during the export and the only troublemaker (I was able to point the finger at so far) is the 'Detail' setting of Sharpness.
Would be grateful for any thoughts or even a help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have oversharpened the image in Lightroom. This has nothing to do with the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Would you also be able to suggest, how to sharpen it correctly please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first one looks pretty good to me.

There are many tutorials on sharpening on the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As dj_paige said, there are a gazillion tutorials on image sharpening. I did a quick search and this one seems to sum it up nicely:

https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-sharpen-images-in-lightroom

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very thankful for your replies and especially for the link for tutorial. I also understand, that I may have overdone the sharpening. But how come, that the image in LR – after my sharpening – looks completely different from the one, that’s exported? Shouldn’t it show blurred bleached photo in LR already, after I applied those changes? This is what I don’t understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

helena_s  wrote

But how come, that the image in LR – after my sharpening – looks completely different from the one, that’s exported? Shouldn’t it show blurred bleached photo in LR already, after I applied those changes? This is what I don’t understand.

With very high Sharpening Amount and Detail settings luminance noise is increased in the image. This can cause the Library module preview and Export image file to appear less sharp and lower in contrast when viewed at less than 1:1 Zoom view.

Loosing detail and blacks when exporting final image

To prevent this from happening always use 1:1 Zoom view when adjusting the LR Detail panel settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Todd. I need to work more on my LR skills then, especially on understanding of how the sharpening works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help. The Detail panel Sharpening and Noise Reduction controls are probably the most misused and misunderstood controls in LR. I've yet to find a good comprehensive video tutorial on how to use them properly. The link provided should be helpful.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-sharpen-images-in-lightroom

That link discusses 'Capture' sharpening and noise reduction, but there are actually three different types of sharpening (Capture, Creative & Output). Each type has a specific function so it's good to understand when and how to apply them. This should help:

Guide to Image Sharpening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love that Cambridge in Color article! Great suggestion, Todd!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines