Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot disable automatic updates for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on mac

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When I go into Acrobat's preferences, I scroll down to "Updater" I untick "Automatically install updates".

Then, it asks for the admin password to "Install a new helper tool" (which it asks for every time I change preferences) which was entered perfectly well.

I click OK. When i reopen the pereferences, auto updates are ticked again by irself, as if the preferences never saved.

Any ideas? This broke the app completely last time, the auto update.

I tried deleting all preference files for adobe acrobat with this guide:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1595848

Then redoing all the settings and disabling updates, but it didn't work. The box always ticks itself again.

Anyone have a hosts list for adobe update servers? That box will not untick itself even after a reboot

Important:

I know disabling updates is not ideal but I really need this app to just work for the next few months

My os is macOS El Capitan 10.11.6. I can't update any further sorry because the mac becomes very slow.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roberts,

As you are unable to disable automatic updates in Acrobat on your mac machine, try creating a new user account on your machine by clicking Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups > login into that account, launch Acrobat and try disabling automatic updates.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue in a new account. No app should update itself without the owners permission. Fundamental flaw in software design. You have screwed up the commenting in the latest version of Acrobat so I have no desire to use it until you fix it. I am tired of having to uninstall the app then reinstall from a previous download. Please let me know how I can disable this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shivam

Tried your solution and it doesn't work. Please address this issue with a response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this doesn’t address your question directly, but I went back and installed the previous version. Document Geek: How to Get the Old Version of Acrobat back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dual installations. Will try. Hopefully the 2018 doesn't continually update itself to the 2019 version. It'd be a whole lot cooler if they didn't release buggy software or crap updates. But I guess when you have a monopoly on the market...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave,

Could you please try installing the latest patch 2019.008.20080 on the machine using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu, You may also download updates from here: Adobe - Acrobat : For Macintosh

Reboot the machine after installing update and try again.

I tried replicating the issue on my machine after installing the latest patch and the issue was not reproducible.

You may also try installing the previous version of Acrobat as suggested by Document Geek. You may also share your feedback to the product team using this link: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines