• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat x stopped working....

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few days ago while viewing a .PDF Acrobat Pro X abruptly disappeared.  Since then, it will no longer start under any circumstance.  Win 7 x64

Tried the following. 

1.)  Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, Adobe Acrobat X Pro - English, Francais, Deutsch, Change, Repair.   - *No Change in Behavior.  Program will not start *

2.)  Attempted the following suggestions found here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-pdf-creation-cannot-continue.html

Solution 2 did nothing.  Solution 3 prompted me to enter my Acrobat X Pro serial number.  I entered my CS6 Master Collection serial number that was emailed to me by Adobe.  It told me I have an incorrect serial number and would not allow me to continue. 

Adobe - I ask that you please look into this issue as soon as possible and post a fix.  I have almost 3 hours tied up into trying to resolve this issue as I can no longer open any .PDF file on my machine.  I also see countless other posts on the same issue with no permanent resolve. 

Thank you.

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

For all the users who have faced a problem where Acrobat did not launch after 30 days of serializing with a suite serial number, please execute the following workaround:

1. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
  2. Launch a regular CS6 product other than Acrobat or Flash Builder (for example: Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro, InDesign, Flash Professional, Illustrator, Dreamweaver.)
  3. Click on Help->Deactivate .
  4. Deactivate the application. Quit application.
  5. Launch a regular CS6 product other than A

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actulay experincing the same issue on the exact same platform. I was in the middle of viewing a pdf yesterday, and it just died. Spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what the problem was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the exact same problem on a Win 7 x64 system. I have the CS6 master collection. None of the posted fixes worked. Please post a fix soon.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also just start experiencing the same issue (on Win 7 64 bit and Xp 64 bit)

I have Acrobat 10.1.3 as part of Cs6 design standard (volumn licence)

It is possible to "fix" the problem by deleting the cache.db file but you will need to re-enter your adobe password next time you start the application.

But the problem returns and you need to repeat (very annoying)

I've started using Foxit until Adobe can sort the issue.

I hope 10.1.4 isn't far away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem- deleting cache.db fixes it temporarily but the problem returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the posts.  I too started having the same problem so I deleted the cache.db file.  I chuckled when it then worked but told me that my trial (I actually do own Master Suite 6)......

"Your trial will expire in 32767 days.

You can continue to use CS6 Master Collection after your trial period by purchasing the software"

Not too shabby getting an 89 year trial.   Shame I already bought it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm joining the ranks - this morning, innocently tried to open an invoice... didn't open. Performed the usualls- reboot, check associations, ect. Tried to opent the program directly... nothing. Thought out uninstalling and reinstalling but don't know if I want go there just yet... I found this too:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4492856

Will search for more and try - will post if I find anything... odd that the dates are all recent...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that Jimbo7777 suggested on the parallel thread does work:

• start up Photoshop
  • Help/deactivate
  • close application
  • start up Photoshop or Acrobat (it is now running in trial mode)
  • go through the activation process giving the serial

It's much faster and less painful than uninstalling/reinstalling the whole suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same issue both in my home installation and at work. Both Win7/64, same CS6 upgrade package. At home, after spending hours on the phone with Adobe reps killing off cache files and recreating them, I finally just use a trial copy (got 22 days left at this point). At work, I uninstalled and bumped down to an Acrobat 9 copy. Sigh. Adobe doesn't seem to be taking this very seriously. I've had a "case" open for a week now, and have been waiting for 2-3 days for them to respond to the last "help" I sent.

It's not like this is a $0.99 app on iTunes or anything. My employer's paid thousands over the life cycle of just Creative Suite versions keeping me up to date, and it doesn't appear that Adobe is even responding to these forum posts. I see this one started four days ago (I started having my problems last weekend).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this may not work for all of us experiencing this problem but in my case, I re-entered my serial number and it stopped telling me it is a trial version.  My trial version had indicated I had 32767 days available at one point.  I have been "issue free" for 4 days now.  No guarantee it will last until Adobe works out the bug but good so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, don't know that this will work for anyone else, or if it will work in my work environment, but it seems to have fixed my home installation:

1. Unistalled Win7/64 installation of Acrobat X.

2. Reboot.

3. Open Adobe Application Manager.

4. Choose to "install" Acrobat X Pro.

5. Enjoy. It never asked for my serial key (which was obviously good when I installed the CS6 package), and none of the CS6 apps are asking for it now, including Acrobat X.

I think I'm stable here at home. I'll check again on Monday at work and see if the same approach solves that problem.

UPDATE: Came in to work on Monday, did the same basic approach (uninstall the version of Adobe Acrobat I had rolled back to), rebooted, then used Adobe Application Manager to install Adobe Acrobat X. Again it did not ask for a serial key, and now the installation seems stable and working. Other Adobe apps also seem stable and working.

UPDATE #2: Un-f**king-believable. After several weeks of again working properly it's gone into the same tail-spin again. I'll try one of the other fixes on here this time, but do you think I'll buy CS7 when it first comes out? No f**king way. At least not for the first 6 months or so. I still can't believe that Adobe blithefully ignores this issue. A ton of pros use these programs, but my faith in Adobe's been shaken severely. Oh, and if it's a big surprise to anybody, it's been exactly 30 days since my last "fix" of this problem. I should be sending Adobe a bill. Or a refund request. Hey, maybe that'll give me something to do with all the time I'm NOT working.

UPDATE#3: Well, I tried the photoshop/deactivate/restart-in-trial-mode/reactivate dance of a thousand deaths, and it appears to be working. Wanna bet it goes south again in 30 days? But at least I'm back to working now <exasperated sigh>...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!!! The same bug-problem here... it's really annoying & disappointing the way it just stopped working Adobe Acrobat X Pro... Yet I've tried the solution 818g suggested & it worked but I'm not so sure for how long it's going to work properly... I demand like everyone else a prompt solution like making available an update (10.1.4) to fix this problem. I agree with Gregory Burns it's not a $0.99 app what we bought... I have the physical version of Adobe Creative 6 Design & Web Premium running on a Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bits)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2012 Jun 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure why I was having such a problem with Adobe Acrobat X Pro until I discovered this forum discussion. Thanks to 818g. It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2012 Jun 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X Pro stopped working on my desktop (windows) machine in the last day or so, and while I was trying to figure out what to do about that I decided to uninstall CS5.5 since I had upgraded to CS6 a few weeks before and everything else seemed to be working nicely, except for this recent issue with Acrobat. Well, uninstalling CS5.5 also uninstalled Acrobat so I used my CS6 disc to reinstall it. Didn't have uninstall/reinstall the entire suite. I was asked to enter my current serial number and Acrobat X Pro seems to be working again.

I'm crossing my fingers because my recent experience with telephone tech support (no longer in the USA) has been horrible (incompetent) and I have another different issue to work out on my laptop with CS6. And of course tech support wants to close that case and be done with me but my other problem isn't resolved. The good news is, Acrobat X Pro is working properly again on the desktop machine and that was a pretty easy fix. If I encounter any more problems with it I will post here, and probably be looking for more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help I go through the deactivation and then the trial pop up menu says click on trial- after that nothing happens. I don't have an opportunity to reenter my serial number so now I have a trial that I paid for that will only last 30 days!! I am a grad student with reviews on Friday how am I supposed to work- all my files have to pdf files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently discovered that Adobe Pro X simply would not open. Wouldn't open any PDFs and the program itself would not open from shortcut. Came here and tried the "deactivate Photoshop" trick. Now it opens! Lets hope it holds :: fingers crossed ::

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very disappointed that this bug has not yet been fixed by Adobe.  I'm constanting finding Acrobat has stopped working and I have to copy my good backup file replace the non-functioning one over and over again.  Seriously, Adobe, this needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the suggestion.  This worked for me

The solution that Jimbo7777 suggested on the parallel thread does work:

• start up Photoshop
  • Help/deactivate
  • close application
  • start up Photoshop or Acrobat (it is now running in trial mode)
  • go through the activation process giving the serial

It's much faster and less painful than uninstalling/reinstalling the whole suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Actrobat X was installed as part of CS6, it was reported in another forum that deactivitating CS6 from Photoshop and then reactivating the suite from Photoshop fixed the problem. The consensus was that this problem happens 30 days after installation and may be a licensing problem. We will have to wait and see if it happens again in 30 days.

Thanks,

Bill Byrnes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case Adobe's counting numbers, I had the same problem this morning, CS6 Master Suite. I first tried rebooting then reinstalling. When that did nothing, I came online and found this. Deactivating through Photoshop did the trick. Thanks, folks -- I'm sure you saved me hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating seems simple enuff. BUT... I can't deactivate. The option is grayed out. Nice goind Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the current situation is with CS6, but there was a limit on the number of times you could deactivate and reactivate your copy of creative suite, so this kind of nonsense could stuff you up pretty quickly if you use the same copy on your PC and laptop and they both have to be deativated and reactivated. My first CS6 acrobat X copy has bitten the dust, and I'm now waiting for the rest of the installs on our site to go down. Thanks adobe, I'm so pleased I upgraded all my working copies of CS5.5 to the fantasticly broken CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case Adobe is counting numbers, experiencing the same issue here.

Had Acrobat X Pro running in the morning but by lunchtime it wouldn't open at all. Running Windows 7, 64 bit. Will be deactivating / activating through Photoshop once I get the key-code from my IT guy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a teacher using the CS6 version on Windows 7 64 bit. SO glad to see I am not alone on this issue. But really need Acrobat to work. I can view files in Reader - but that is not a real solution. It  needs to open.

what ever update happened to this on Jun 22nd made the program inoperable.

And G818's solution worked! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines