Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe flashplayer23_xa_install - fails - grey box

Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7, Firefox 49.0.2, no idea what current version of Flash (prob 22??) but I'm trying to update to 23.

Steps:

- I download flashplayer23_xa_install.exe from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer -- I have unchecked the 'get the 2 other things' boxes because how about no.

- I open the folder where flashplayer23_xa_install.exe is, double-click it.

- I get a grey box:

AdobeFlash23DoesNotInstall-GreyBox.gif

and nothing happens.

- When I get bored of looking at the grey box that does nothing, I close it by clicking the X.

- flashplayer23_xa_install.exe disappears out of the folder it was in, and Internet Explorer opens and tries to load the get.adobe page linked above, but nothing loads. I close IE.

- Repeat the above. Utilize some choice words.

Pausing Kaspersky does not alter anything -- still a grey box, still does nothing, still tries to open IE.

I am crying that the flashplayer/distribution3 page is gone, because I have NEVER been able to successfully update Flash using the .exe from the get.adobe page.

How can this be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Hi,

I'd like to get the online/web installer log files to investigate. Please do the following:

1. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory (C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\).  The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else.
    1. To create the empty text file, navigate to the %temp% directory, right-click in an empty area and select New > Text Document
    2. Rename the new file to ADM.trace
      • make sure file extensions are visible so that the extension is .trace

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'd like to get the online/web installer log files to investigate. Please do the following:

1. Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory (C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\).  The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else.
    1. To create the empty text file, navigate to the %temp% directory, right-click in an empty area and select New > Text Document
    2. Rename the new file to ADM.trace
      • make sure file extensions are visible so that the extension is .trace and not .txt.  See Show or hide file name extensions if file name extensions are not displaying.
  2. Launch the online installer then exit out of it (click the X)
  3. Upload the Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files saved at C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document .
  4. Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply

Alternatively you can use the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier in the 'Still having problems' section.  However, without the log files we can't troubleshoot why this is happening on your system.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me.

The Adobe_ADM.log is here

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

And there was no Adobe_GDE.log file in the folder, only the ADM log file.

I am thankful you linked the Installation problems page.  I have downloaded a file from the section you mentioned, but now I don't want to run it, because if I'm having this problem, getting it solved may help others too.

Let me know if I need to give more data. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing the log file.  I do see an error I'm not familiar with and have forwarded it to the online/web installer team for further review.

The online/web installer downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background.  Based on the log file, the failure is with the online installer itself, before it even launches Flash Player. You should be fine in using the offline installer to install Flash Player.

Thanks again for providing the log file.  If the online/web installer team needs more info they'll most likely post directly.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did run the offline-installer file from the Installation Problems page you linked. It did give me a functioning box and did install Flash 23 correctly. Thank you for the link, I have bookmarked it so I can just use that in the future.

Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  And thanks again for providing the install log file.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines