Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlinks crashing my InDesign?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Really appreciate any (urgent) help on this one. I'm running the latest version of InDesign CC 2017, and have happily set up a document of over 150 pages. The document contains approx 80-100 footnotes many or which contain URL and PDF download addresses, which once the document has been saved as a PDF, should enable the end-user (reader) to click through the hyperlink to land on a corresponding web page etc. The issue is that some of URLs in the InDesign doc. run on to 2-3 lines, which means the link is effectively broken, so the best way (only way I'm aware of) I am able to make them 'click-thru' links, once I export to PDF format is to use the hyperlinks panel in InDesign (which I've used many times over the years successfully) and then when exporting the doc as a PDF make sure I turn on interactive in the PDF export dialogue box before I save. I was wading through my 150 page doc. adding hyperlink boxes to where ever was required, but as I approached the final few pages, the hyperlinks dialogue box stopped working. Worse still, when I tried a re-start to try and open the hyperlinks panel, it just would not work. Ultimately my entire InDesign would not open at all. I managed to get a colleague to re-save the file on her machine, so that the InDesign doc. now does at least open again, but again when I try and open the hyperlink menu, to try and finalised the hyperlinks that need to be made active the document crashes?

Any help on how to troubleshoot this, so that I can get hyperlinks working again with this document, and indeed get it to work on future publications I would be grateful. (I should mention I have never experienced this before with InDesign, and have been using the software for many years to set up reports and publications.

Thanks,

Marc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Hi Marc,

A fix has been provided to resolve this issue.

Please try the steps mentioned at this troubleshooting page https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-hyperlinks-panel-quick-apply.html to resolve your issue, if still facing.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving from The Lounge​ to a product-specific support forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the solutions provided in this thread, especially at the end:

Hyperlink editing broken in latest release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

A fix has been provided to resolve this issue.

Please try the steps mentioned at this troubleshooting page https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-hyperlinks-panel-quick-apply.html to resolve your issue, if still facing.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Monica, that appears to have fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

This was a very useful answer. I had exactly the same problem and have been talking to the Adobe helpdesk 3 times about this.
Every phonecall a different (complicated and temporarily) solution and in the end my problem was't solved.

I'm surprised the helpdesk wasn't aware of this solution.

Thanks,

Renske

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my day Monica! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, the Help desk was remotely accessing my mac, and they could not figure it out, and they told me in 24 hours they will let me know. Luckily, I found this forum!!!  I wish I had looked at this forum first!! This also solved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been pulling my hair out for days to finally troubleshoot my crashes were linked to my Hyperlinks Window. This was a great find to fix the issue immediately! Thanks Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This patch seem to crash my latest version of ID so I have to uninstall / reinstall.

Hyperlinks panel then works as it should until the first glitch - when I relaunch I lose my grey / red / green indicators.

The hyperlinks feature really is a buggy pile of doo-doo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wheaty.

Can you please share with me a screenshot or screen recording of the issue you are facing so that i can understand better.

Also, please mention step-by-step what you have done before you reach to this state.

This would be really helpful for me to debug this situation

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix appears to be Mac-specific. I'm having this issue on a PC. Is there a PC fix?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix brings you to a page which says "This issue is fixed" and invites you to buy the newest version of InDesign. That is not a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everytime I tried to add a page link in my document, InDesign crashes. When I restart it, i get a dialogue box that says my filename may be damaged. Do I want to open it anyway?

I do. The file seems fine, until I try to add another link and InDesign crashes, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines