• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash CS6 Air to iOS "Edit Application Settings" menu not coming up. No way to publish to iOS.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a freshly re-installed and updated Flash CS6 on a 64-bit Macbook OS X 10.9.4.   I've tried various combos of Air 3.2, 3.4, 14, and 15, since yesterday, and I'm getting the same result.  Just two days ago everything about this setup was working flawlessly.  I was compiling and pushing Air apps to my iPad for testing.  Early yesterday morning I tried this and got a message that I didn't save, but was something along the lines of "This installation is not setup for this process" or something.  Since then, when I click on the wrench to bring up the Edit Application Settings menu, nothing happens.  This is true if I click on it next to target in the properties pane, or if I go to Air to iOS Settings from the File dropdown menu. 

The other strange part of this is that if I open some older projects, I can get the menu to come up again. But on the project I was working on it doesn't.  And if I create a new, blank FLA file and go straight to settings, it also doesn't work.  And if I attempt it and it doesn't work, if I close the file that wasn't working it crashes Flash completely. 

It seems like some database or cache is corrupt but I did a full uninstall (using adobe cleaner) and reinstall, and it's still happening.  I found one old thread on google about this same problem, and the solution given was to delete Library/Application Support/iPadApp/Local Store/appDB.db, but I don't even have this file to delete. 

Pretty much can't produce my content like this so I'm a sitting duck.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first post here so I apologize if I'm missing something.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

very interesting. apple developer support were happy to engage with this and checked out all my certificates and stuff and updated some stuff in Xcode.

but while doing it i discovered that if you move the provisioning profile somewhere else eg a new folder, then you can open the Edit Application Settings  and then add the provisioning profile from the new location and

flash publishes successfully.

at least  that is a workaround - although a pain in the arse!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no fix but some further info.  My Apple Dev Certificate expired a couple of weeks ago, and I got a new one and that's what I've been trying to use. 

I tested this out on my older Macbook.  On this same FLA that wasn't working, I could get to the Edit Application Settings menu initially, but when I put in the new certificate and new provisioning profile info and hit OK, I could no longer get back into that menu. 

There also seems like there's some memory of what happened last, because if I go directly from this problem to a new file, I get the same issue.  But if I open one of the older working projects and open the settings menu, then create a new file, I can get into the new file's settings menu. But whenever I try to get into the settings after the new provisioning profile info has been updated, I get locked out. 

It seems like it has more to do with the provisioning profile than the certificate.  I can alter the certificate info in the settings menu without causing this problem.  When I change the provisioning profile, that's when I can't get back into the menu.  This is a huge problem because I have all new profiles using the new certificate and can't publish any of my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue.  Looks like you have found more information on it that I have.  I have lost a whole day trying to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your issue just start?  Does it also involve new certificates or profiles or is it completely out of the blue?  If it's a profile issue it could be a change Apple made recently, if not I don't know what the deal is. 

The last time it crashed out on me I got the Adobe error popup, and I sent in the report, and it said Adobe had found a solution - "click here for more info".  It was just a link to adobe.com.  Helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be onto something about the certificates, but it also my be in combination with Air 15 SDK.

The 2 things that I changed yesterday was upgrading to the Air 15 SDK and renewing my provision profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to think maybe Air 15 library is hosing my Project FLA.

I opened my project and copied all the library items and frames into a new FLA

I set choose AIR 13 for iOS

I choose the same certificates and profiles that messed up my original.

I have not yet successfully installed in on my 1st gen iPad but I believe that's an issue I'm having wither my developer certificate.

I saves and quit Flash, re-opened my new project FLA and the iOS settings panel is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hrm.  I reverted to Air 13, and tried to just publish a brand new blank FLA.  Same problems.   Let me know if you figure something out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bcvincent,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue - My development certificate has expired so I created a new one but after updating it in the application settings, it still says it expired as if it did not update to the new one and once I try to reopen the settings menu I can't anymore.

No matter to what version of Air for iOS I go back to it doesn't open but if I change to android it does. All other project files and older versions work ok as if the file itself got corrupted. Tried the process twice already with the same result.

Did you manage to solve it somehow? Can anyone from Adobe jump in and help?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear I'm not alone on this, but I still haven't figured anything out yet either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to use CS6 to recreate my project FLA. My build published and deployed to my iPad.  I have not tried making the binary for apple deployment yet, but I have had no further issues saving / closing / opening  and getting back to the iOS settings sense I rebuilt my project file and applied all new credentials.

The feels like it's a mix of meta data in the project FLA mixed with Flash CS6 IDE remembering the settings for the latest file opened.

I believe by opening an older project file and getting to the iOS settings, it cleaned up the IDE remembering bad profiles and or certificates. 

Here's exactly what I did:

- I opened another older iOS project in flash  (one that referenced old credentials)

- I opened up iOS settings, and they appeared.

- I then created a brand new FLA

- I opened up the iOS project I was having issues with.

- I copied all library items and frames to new document.

- I closed the bad iOS project

- I deleted the -app.xml from the bad project.

- I opened up iOS settings for my new duplicated project and the settings appear.

- I downloaded new provision profile for my app.

- I downloaded a new developer certificate and made a new .p12 file

- I assigned the credentials in the iOS settings in FLASH and everything published as normal.

My build was using the Air 13 SDK.  I have not tried the Air 15 SDK yet, but it's on my next to do list.

Even after attempting to remove all things adobe, there must still be a file some where that indicates the last dev cert and app profile that was used.

bcvincent, I really hope this is helpful. Your insight about the old and new credentials as well as opening older projects got me thinking towards this path it's helped me so far.

Latha, Your insight about the saving the project after pointing to new credentials in a file that once pointed to older ones is exactly what happened to my project file.

I think the key to unlocking the iOS settings once they are no longer coming up is to open a project with old credentials.

Once that is achieved and the iOS panel is available again, it seems the only way to prevent the issue is to then rebuild the project into a new FLA so that the project can be saved correctly with new credentials.  It's a pain, but for now it appears to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the continued responses, wszalejm

I tried your process and I did get it to work, sort of.  If I just publish and then push to the iPad from iTunes, it works.  If I try the Post Publishing option to install directly to iPad from Flash I get an error message about "Please check if there is enough space on device."  (I have 8 GB free and it's a 12 MB app)  So the direct publishing still seems dead but that's not the end of the world. 

The problem is that I still lose that settings menu if I close it and try to re-open it.  Even after the successful publish, with all the new credentials, it won't open back up.  So at best this is still a tedious workaround of a bug.  (I'm grateful that you found something that worked.  I can get this project out the door now.) But it doesn't work as a full solution.  This happens on any new FLA, which means any future projects I do will be affected.  And some of my them require a lot of testing on the device and I sometimes publish to the device multiple times in an afternoon.  I can't be stuck doing this whole process every time.

Anyone from Adobe out there?  Is the message just that I need to fork over more money for Flash CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Trying the Post Publishing option to install directly to iPad from Flash giving  an error message about "Please check if there is enough space on device." this issue is reproducible from our end it is an  Air SDK issue raised a bug for this.

you can see the forum thread for the issue https://forums.adobe.com/message/6898234#6898234  

Please try the new version of Flash Professional CC 2014 (v 14.1.0.96) and check for solution .

Thanks!

Latha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

seems this problem is file specific ,if file  is created , saved with old provisioning profiel and ceritificate and opening with new profile might causing some issue , If possible can you please share your fla files with us ? 

Thanks!

Latha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Latha,

Actually, I managed to work around it by using Flash CC. It seems like the problem exist only with older versions of Flash (I used Flash CS6 until now).

Theres not much I can share because it relates to the .p12 or provisioning profile but you can easily try and reproduce it by doing the following (on Mac):

1. Create a new Flash CS6 project.

2. Create a CER file from apple's members center and convert it to .p12 using keychain access.

3. Create new provisioning profile  using the new certificate.

4. download both and use use them when publishing your Air for iOS app.

Now what will happen for you after that I'm not sure. For me on the first time (when I updated the locations to the new .p12 and provisioning profile and the application settings menu is still open) it says that me certificate is expired as if it kept trying to fetch the old certificate and not the new one.

Once I close the settings window I can never open it again with that project file (Also if I change it to another version of Air for iOS). But if I try to change it to Air for Android I can still open it.

Taking the same file and opening it in CC does allow me to open the application settings menu, though.

Thanks,

Oz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems as well. Same thing happens on 3 different projects on two different versions of flash (cs6 and cs5.5) on two different computers.

I can put in my certificate and provisioning profile once and then the settings menu won't open again no matter what I try. Reboot, new .fla file, etc.

Seems to be a computer issue so something must be stored somewhere on my computer to prevent it from working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Seems to be a computer issue so something must be stored somewhere on my computer to prevent it from working again."

That appears to be the case, although it's an issue that is being created because of the certificate/provisioning profile or because of Flash's reading of those files.  I've recreated this same issue on a different computer and using a different project, but with the same new certificate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually when flash gives you the error, "Please check if there is enough space on the device." it's because there is some sort of mismatch with the profile and or developer certificate or information in the -app.xml is not the same as in the provision profile.

Apple recently had a new user agreement that I had to log in and approve. Every time they do that I end up having to go to my keychain, and delete my local developer certificate, re-download it from apple and make a new p12.

After doing that I find it also helps to some how edit the provision profile to force it to update and then download that fresh too.

Are you using the Air 15 SDK?  I have not tried using that yet with what I have done above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using Air 13, and that's what I tried your method on. 

It feels like this whole problem could be due to some mismatch along the way, but I can't find it.  Right before this latest attempt I deleted all keys, certificates, and profiles and made all new ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could be of more help.  I afraid I don't really understand the underlying nature of the issue either right now. 

A p12 file is essentially an encrypted XML file.

Apple just updated their certificates.

So it's probable that the .p12 file KeyChain exports is different in an unexpected way for Flash CS6

I think the Flash CS6 IDE stores, information about what certs you last used so it can be fancy when the iOS settings are opened and display them pre-populated in the form fields.

I think something goes wrong when you open a FLA that is associated with an older cert and when you point it to a new cert, the unexpected difference in the new .p12 hoses flash from being able to record the information it wants, correctly.  So the next time you open the file and try to open the iOS settings, Flash can't find them and eventually crashes while trying.

I think this is why the issue occurs with brand new project files.  I think Flash defaults to the last opened project file for what it will use for defaults. So if you make a new project it's still trying to use the cert information that crashes it. You have to open an older, un-hosed, project file to get the iOS panel to come back in order to set the default to something that works. Then you can make brand new projects with brand new certs.

There's got to be a table somewhere that Adobe is using to associate FLAs with Certs, and it never goes away with an uninstall and or cleaner. And when FLASH tries to update that table by pointing a project with an old cert to a new cert, it messes up the table and that project file is forever going to break the ability to open the iOS settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now I'm thinking Air 15 has nothing to do with the issue.  I'm going to publish for distribution tomorrow using the latest Air SDK.  I'll post here how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2014 Nov 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have the same problem with new provision profiles

Reported this bug Bug#3850040 - Flash CS6 crash

Also to open the «Edit Application Settings» menu you can replace a new provision profile with any older one.

When all settings are done, to compile a project change to the new provision profile again.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latha, I did figure out from your link the work around about the direct publishing bug.  Putting the first version of my project on the iPad via iTunes then allows for further publishing directly to the iPad.  As for the main problem, upgrading to Flash CC is not an option for me right now. 

kvand67,  "you can replace a new provision profile with any older one"  What do you mean by this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

If you need to open the «Edit Application Settings» menu, instead of creating a new project, you can copy and paste another provision profile(from any project) instead of the current one (which causes the problem), run Flash, open your project, open the desired menu, change necessary settings.

Then you can put your original provision profile back and publish.

Just temporary deleting provision profile (file) doesn't solve the problem in our case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my profiles have different names, so assuming I have to rename the workings ones filenames to the new broken ones, and vice versa, this seems to be best workaround for this bug.  I can keep my project file the same without having to copy and paste into a new file everytime.  Thanks for finding what appears to be the easiest workaround. 

I wish Adobe would address the issue but I think MrAndre87 is probably right.  Why should they fix it if they want people to switch to CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Flash CC and now everything works.

Very annoying that I had to do that. And if this is Adobe's way of forcing people to upgrade (just speculating) then they are running a very shady business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines