• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-Renewal Trap and Heavy Cancellation Fee! Why am I being penalized?

Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

I am writing this request on behalf of my Creative Cloud student account; a0115744@u.nus.edu as I cannot reset my password due to my student email deactivation by my school after my graduation. I was using the Creative Cloud Membership when I was a student for my school work as well as for my internship purposes. The student membership is an amazing tool for me as I would not be able to afford these great applications at the regular prices. My membership expired in June-2017 after my graduation. I had no idea about the auto-renewal as I did not receive any up-front notification until I noticed I was being charged SGD40.00 a month on my bank statement. I was extremely appalled and utterly shocked. Hence, I immediately contacted the customer support through telephone regarding this matter. The customer support was even worse, instead of being “supported”, I was only being penalized for not cancelling the membership earlier. I was told I had to pay a heavy cancellation fee despite repeatedly telling them (and even pleading) that I had no idea about the auto-renewal and the cancellation fee. The customer support assistance did not seem to be bothered by my situation and insisted that I either cancel or continue my subscription. As I was already burdened with my job applications and taking care of my family, I did not what to do at that point of time and decided to leave the matter be.

The past few months was extremely painful for me as I was being charged for a membership that I stopped using completely after graduation. Furthermore, given my family’s financial constraint, this monthly subscription fee was being a significant burden on my finance. I accepted my fate until I came across a forum thread on Adobe website (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1662158). I found out there were many others who are facing the same issue as I am; Adobe trapping fresh graduates in a year long subscription. This is a terrible business practice and an even horrible experience for students who just graduated as they would be in a financial constraint and suffer from this expensive monthly subscription. I believe I have suffered enough and I shall be warning my friends and family regarding this trap Adobe has set up and stay away from Adobe memberships. I truly hope Adobe understands the situation people like me are in and change their membership policy. Until then, I am completely stepping away from Adobe.

I would also like to kindly put up a request to cancel my membership and refund the membership fee as I have not been using Creative Cloud since graduation and do not have a need for it currently. This will help to ease my financial constraint. I sincerely hope you understand my situation and consider my request. I will greatly appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

Lee Hui Jun

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

I am sorry that you did not read the Subscription Terms https://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html where it discusses the auto-renewal and the early termination fee

To Cancel https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/cancel-membership.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry that you did not read the Subscription Terms https://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html where it discusses the auto-renewal and the early termination fee

To Cancel https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/cancel-membership.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you keep pressing them and say you've seen forums that show they've waived the cancellation fees they will do it. Just post a link to the forum on your chat. [Locked] Cancellation Fee and Auto-Renewals!! Interesting this forum is LOCKED.

Definitely some deception going on. The first chat was unsuccessful and they offered me first one month free, then 2 months free - after the computer system had offered me three months free before I initiated the chat. I was able to get them to waive the fee for cancelling illustrator but remained in the photography program which i've been paying for for 2 years and paid them $60 for three months of illustrator but hardly used it. They wanted $90 to cancel. I honestly never noticed that it was a one year contract. I just quickly added it to my plan because I needed it for a project. I assumed it was month to month. Especially if you're already a paying loyal customer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same situation here... In the middle of the last year I've requested them to cancel my yearly plan and they've said if I cancel it at that moment I had to pay half of the yearly payment price as cancellation fee / penalty. So I've decided to continue until the end of 2017 but I've missed the renewal date and unfortunately there wasn't a "don't renew" option on plan / account management screen to prevent the unwanted renewal.

They just say they're sending an email which states yearly plan will be renewed in a month. So, in that short period, if you've missed the renewal date because you didn't see that email somehow (as me) they force you to pay the unfair and unreasonable cancellation fee / penalty. I don't want to / can't say this membership model is a fraud but it's obviously unfair and also sickening. So I had a chat with customer service short time ago and tell them again to cancel my plan. This time I'll pay the cancellation fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines