Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does the newest Flash player for Windows crash so much?

Apr 2, 2012 3:08 PM

Why does the newest Flash player for Windows crash so much?

I'm using the newest Flash player update that has come up on this computer.  It is Flash player version 11.1.102.62 on a Windows 7 machine.  I've experienced excessive Flash player crashes in Firefox and Internet Explorer.  It seems since the last two Flash player updates that have come from Adobe there is a big problem with Flash player crashes.

Previously, there was no problem... then there was the update before last and the problems started.  I was hoping the latest update would have that problem fixed, but now it is only worse.

Is it possible to go back three updates and install on older Flash player?

Will Adobe ever get this issue fixed?

Thanks,

digi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to digiday

being able to reproduce crashers consistently helps to narrow down specific problems.  the random crashers are difficult to track and otherwise fix.

the latest Flash Player version, 11,2,202,228, was release last week.  that would make 11,1,102,62 two version behind.  would you mind to upgrade to the latest player?  there are some crash fixes in our latest offering.  you can go here to update: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

it is possible to downgrade, but that is not advisable as the older release will not always be up to date with secuirity patches.  if you option for this, you can grab older builds here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html#main_Archived_versions

Note: make sure to completely uninstall the existing version.

thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to digiday

Also, what is your display adapter, driver version & date?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:21 PM   in reply to digiday

Received the following PM from digiday:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your reply.

I can't reply on my thread... there is no reply button that appears.  I'm not sure if I'm locked out or something... sometimes things don't seem to work correctly on the Adobe forum.

My display driver info is...

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

version 8.17.12.7533

05/20/2011

I sent a private message to "libflashplayer.so" too, but I never received a reply from him.  I asked him why I wouldn't have received a desktop notice of the previous two Flash player updates since I always have received them in the past... I haven't changed any system update notification settings.

I just updated the Flash player about three weeks ago... and "libflashplayer.so" is telling me there has been two updates since then, but I didn't receive any updater download notice... is there a Flash player update every week now, but Adobe doesn't send desktop update notices any more?

Thanks,

digi

Can you please post in this topic that you are also having difficulies to reply in your own topic: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/984429

If you also cannot reply in that topic, please start a new topic in that forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:26 PM   in reply to digiday

Please refer to this topic http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765 and check if there are any newer drivers available for your display adapter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

From digiday:

Pat,

I posted on the thread about not being able to post on a thread.   :^(

The problem isn't with my display driver... everything else with it works fine.  I updated my display driver months ago and the problem with the Flash player crashing only started a few weeks ago with the version before 11.1.102.62.  I don't update my display driver or audio driver every time they come up with a new one because that can cause problems... ie - Windows driver updates that used to come through and install themselves automatically in Vista would cause major problems and one time it completely destroyed my audio and it was never recoverable... after weeks of troubleshooting that back in 2010 I had to finally just upgrade to Windows 7 and wipe my hard drive clean... therefore, driver updates only happen with me if the driver gets corrupted and doesn't work at all.

The problem isn't with the display driver... it is with the Flash player.

Thanks,

digi

I understand if you are reluctant to update your device drivers, although a System Restore Point will make 100% certain that you can revert if something goes wrong.

Sometimes new Flash Player versions require new device driver features (or fixed device driver features) in order to function correctly.

If you are reluctant to update your drivers, disable Hardware Acceleration, and Flash Player may work better (see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 10:36 PM   in reply to digiday

According to the Archived Flash Player page http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html there has been only one release 11.1.102.63 (a security fix) between your current installed player and the latest version 11.2.  I suggest that you update to 11.1.102.63 if you don't want to upgrade to 11.2 at this time.

Why does 11.2 not work with your currently installed device drivers?  My guess is (and it's only a guess) that 11.2 uses new features that are not correctly implemented in your older device drivers.  But of course there is also a chance that it is a bug in 11.2, but to be sure you would have to test it and install the latest drivers for your display adapter.

You can send a bug report to Adobe (see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/953796), but I am pretty sure that they will not investigate it deeply if you are unwilling to update your device drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:49 AM   in reply to digiday

digiday wrote:

Two of these are security updates released for Flash Player 10.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to digiday

I have had constant problems with Flash Player for the past couple of years using IE and Firefox - so today I downloaded Google Chrome (I had refused to use it before today because it was always being 'forced' on me when I downloaded other things)

I have just had one hour free of Flash Player crashes so it if continues like this then I will be a convert of Google Chrome!

:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to digiday

Hi there, excuse me but I am no techie!  :-)

When you say that your Google Chrome doesn't handle bookmarks very easily what do you mean?  I have added all the bookmarks that I had on Firefox and now have a Bookmarks bar showing the favourites.

It wasn't apparent how to do this but a simple google search gave me the answer - if I remember correctly I had to add an 'app' or plugin that someone had written and then my bookmarks were visible - and it actually says 'Imported from Firefox' as the label.

So I can now open a new tab and select the bookmark that I want.

Are you saying that you cannot add bookmarks to the list because there is a white star which lets you bookmark any wen page.

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge but I was not understanding what your problem with bookmarks was exactly.

Regarding flash player - I watch a lot of UK TV online via BBC iPlayer (a wonderful tool) and all the other players for Channel 4 / 5 etc.  And the Flashplayer crashes were getting really annoying especially with ITV Player as every time you start a session again you get six new ads to watch before your program starts - I was watching the same adds maybe six times in a twenty-five minute program!

So Google Chrome is wonderful even though it may not be as great as Firefox - :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 11:05 PM   in reply to digiday

I am sorry but I really don't understand why you say '

Note that what WAS known at the "Quicklinks Bar" that appears at the TOP of the browser in Firefox (a single horizontal line of the most commonly used links for a user to have quick access to), below the address bar, is now referred to as the "Bookmarks Bar" by Google's software developers in Google Chrome. But Google calls the "Bookmarks Bar" (which is otherwise the vertical, retractable bar of that shows ALL of your bookmarks that appears on the left side of the Firefox and IE browsers) the "Bookmarks Manager", which is now a tab in Google Chrome, placed as other webpage tabs, and not a retractable bar on the left side of the browser, as it was in Firefox and in IE.'

Please look at this screen shot of Google Chrome and note the Bookmarks detail which is displayed when I click on Imported from Firefox heading on the Bookmarks bar which is NOT a tab in google chrome but a bar which you need to add

Adobe.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to digiday

Don't you use the white star at the top right to add a bookmark?  Seems easy to me - only trying to help but I'll stop now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points